The Farm to Institution New York State (FINYS) Leadership Team is a dynamic group of leaders in agriculture and food, public health and nutrition, economic development and other fields that are interested in scaling up the farm to institution movement in New York. We welcome individuals with a wide-range of backgrounds, perspectives, knowledge and sectors in the farm to institution movement to join this network of leaders.
Deadline to apply is Monday, April 23, 2018.
Note: You will need to sign in to Google to fill out this application. If you do not have a Google account, please request an application by email to Glenda Neff, [email protected].
Farm to Institution New York State will strengthen the economic security of farmers and the health of New Yorkers by empowering institutions to spend at least 25 percent of their food budget on food grown in New York.
The Leadership Team plays key roles in identifying opportunities and barriers to scaling up the farm to institution movement in New York and advancing the FINYS initiatives below.
Advancing Public Policy
- Supporting agencies and institutions receiving public funds to buy New York-grown food, and expanding the funding available for purchasing food grown on New York farms. FINYS helped facilitate the New York Food for New York Kids campaign to increase funding to help schools buy food grown in New York.
Educating Institutions About Buying Locally
- Empowering institutions to increase purchasing of foods grown in New York by providing online trainings and resources through the Local Food Buyer Learning Center, and in-person trainings for school teams with the New York Farm to School Institute.
Inspiring Commitment and Framing Success
- Conducting research about the economic and health impacts of expanding local food purchasing and promoting institutions that are making progress towards the goal of spending at least 25% of their food dollars on food grown in New York.
The Leadership Team meets in person at least once each year and by conference call at least twice each year. These meetings offer opportunities for members to foster relationships with other leaders in the farm to institution movement across New York and enhance the impact of FINYS initiatives.
Current FINYS Leadership Team Members Include:
- Cheryl Thayer, Cornell Cooperative Extension Harvest New York
- David Haight, American Farmland Trust
- Ray Denniston, New York School Nutrition Association
- Linda LaViolette, New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets
- Mary Ellen Mallia, University at Albany, State University of New York
- Mitch Gruber, Foodlink
- Olivia Blanchflower, GrowNYC, Greenmarket Co.
- Sarah Brannen, Hudson Valley Farm Hub, New World Foundation
- Todd Erling, Hudson Valley Agribusiness Development Corporation